Clean air is just as important as the fuel that you put into the car. The air filter is a simple cold air collector box made of cotton or paper that is installed under the hood to keep dust, dirt and other contaminants out of the engine. A dirty air filter is unable to keep the clean air flowing smoothly through the engine to allow it to operate at maximum efficiency. Here is a guide to replacing a dirty air filter and installing a brand new one in your car.
Here is a list of items that you need to complete this job:
1 replacement air filter
- Buy a replacement filter that is matched to the make and model of your car. Consult with your owner's manual in the car or a professional mechanic to get the correct specifications of the air filter that is the correct size for your model.
- Find a safe location free from the weather that will allow you to work without distractions and park the car. Shut off the car and be sure to put on the parking break.
- Open the hood latch located underneath the driver's wheel inside the car. Once you have popped the latch, go around the front of the car and open the hood release located around the center of the hood. Once the hood release is opened, you will be able to lift the hood and secure it with the rod to prop it up.
- Find the air filter on the top of the engine. The air filter usually is hidden underneath a plastic cover with a latch that has to be removed. Loosen the latch and unscrew the screws with a screwdriver that hold the air filter in place and lift the air filter out of the rectangular box. Make sure to keep the screws in a safe location, as you need them to screw the new one into place.
- Replace the old filter with the new one and secure it into place with the screws and the screwdriver.
- Re-attach the old plastic cover and make sure that it is sealed properly without any gaps to allow dirt in. Make sure to lock the plastic cover with the latch and give it a tug to make sure that it will not come loose.
- Put down the prop rod and close the hood of the car. Make sure that the hood latch locks when you put the hood down to prevent it from flying open while driving.
- Start the car and remove the parking break to complete the job. Check to make sure that there are no alerts that come on the dashboard when you start the car and the job is completed.
An air filter should be changed regularly to ensure that the car can operate at peak performance levels. Consult with a professional mechanic if you are uncomfortable changing the air filter yourself or if you encounter any problems during the job. For more information, contact a business such as First Klass Transmission.